The ingestion of the placenta is known as “placentophagy.” The purpose of placentophagy by the mother is to reintroduce the beneficial vitamins, minerals, hormones, proteins, and other nutrients to her body following labor and birth to help restore a more balanced body function, prevent “baby blues” and the more serious postpartum depression, increase breast-milk production, shorten healing time, increase maternal energy levels, and provide an over-all feeling of wellness to aid in the transition between pregnancy and the early postpartum period in the woman who has just given birth.
Placenta encapsulation is the process of preparing the mother’s placenta after the birth of her baby by separating the membranes and umbilical cord from the placenta and rinsing and draining maternal and fetal blood and dehydrating it to then be ground and placed into capsules for the mother to ingest as she sees fit.
Encapsulation Service Include:
• Pick-up of placenta to be encapsulated
• The full placenta preparation and encapsulation process
• Storage container of the completed placenta pills
• Written instructions for proper storage and handling of the finished placenta pills
• Suggestions for ingestion amounts
• Delivery of the finished placenta pills to the client at the agreed upon location by both parties.
• Notify Jessica as soon after the birth as possible (preferably the same-day as the birth) to request pick-up of the placenta.
• Discuss release of the placenta after the birth from the establishment where you deliver.
• Ensure proper storage of the placenta in a refrigerator or cooler of ice until it can be picked up.